Head lice treatment
New treatment funded from 1 May 2017 - dimethicone 4% lotion 200ml
- New – A new headlice treatment is now funded and available on prescription – it’s called dimethicone 4% lotion.
- Free – For children under 13, the doctor’s appointment and head lice prescription should be free(external link).
- Gentle – Dimethicone is not absorbed through the skin. It works by suffocating the eggs and lice.
- Effective – Studies show dimethicone can be more effective than other prescribed lice treatments.
A nit comb isn’t essential when using dimethicone, but it will help remove dead lice and eggs after treatment.
How do you use it?
- Coat hair from the roots to the tips, combing through hair only if necessary to spread the lotion.
- Leave on overnight (or for at least 8 hours).
- Wash out with normal shampoo and conditioner.
- Repeat treatment in 7 days to suffocate remaining eggs and lice.
Everyone in the house should be checked and treated for lice if you find them present.
Last updated: 14 February 2018