Flecainide is a medicine used to maintain a regular heartbeat and prevent an irregular heartbeat from returning.
The funded brands of flecainide are changing from Tambocor CR and Tambocor to Flecainide Controlled Release Teva and Flecainide BNM.
When is the change happening?
The brand of flecainide long-acting capsules 100 mg and 200 mg is changing from Tambocor CR to Flecainide Controlled Release Teva.
- From 1 July 2019, Flecainide Controlled Release Teva will be fully funded.
- From 1 December 2019, Tambocor CR will no longer be funded.
The brand of flecainide short-acting tablet 50 mg is changing from Tambocor to Flecainide BNM.
- From 1 September 2019, Flecainide BNM will be fully funded.
- From 1 February 2020, Tambocor will no longer be funded.
If you do want to keep using your current brand of flecainide, you can ask your pharmacist to check the price and availability. PHARMAC cannot guarantee the availability or price of Tambocor after they stop being funded.
Your new brand of flecainide will work the same
- Your new brand of flecainide will work in the same way as Tambocor. The new brands have the same active ingredient as the Tambocor brand and are delivered to the body in the same way. This means they will have the same effect as other brands.
- Flecainide BNM and Flecainide Controlled Release Teva have both been fully evaluated by Medsafe to ensure they are safe and work the same as Tambocor.
- It’s understandable that you might have questions about changing your medicine but you shouldn’t notice any difference when you change to Flecainide BNM or Flecainide Controlled Release Teva. If you have any questions or concerns about changes to medicines, you should talk with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
There’s more information about medicines and changes to medicines on PHARMAC’s website: The facts about generic and biosimilar medicines.
Your new brand of flecainide looks similar
Find out more
If you have any questions or concerns about changing brands, talk with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist. You can also get more information from us at email@example.com or 0800 66 00 50.
For healthcare professionals
Brand changes are common and healthcare professionals play an important role in supporting patients through changes to their medicines.
We've prepared some material for you to share with people as they change their brand of flecainide.
Here is a patient information leaflet that you can download and print.
Key points to tell your patients about the change in brands of oral flecainide
- Flecainide Controlled Release Teva and Flecainide BNM both have the same active ingredient as Tambocor CR and Tambocor. This means the new brand of medication is just as safe and works the same as the old brand. They shouldn’t notice any difference in how it affects them.
Brand switch fee
A brand switch fee will be in place to ensure pharmacists are reimbursed for any additional patient counselling required to transition patients successfully.
Last updated: 15 May 2019