Decision to list surgical suction, chest and wound drainage products supplied by Culpan Distributors Limited
31 May 2019
What we are doing
We are pleased to announce the approval of a listing agreement for surgical suction, chest and wound drainage medical devices with Culpan Distributors Limited (‘Culpan’).
In summary this will result in:
- 52 medical devices from Culpan in the surgical suction, chest and wound drainage category, being listed on the Pharmaceutical Schedule from 1 July 2019 under a national agreement that all DHBs may purchase under (‘Agreement’);
- this supplier providing training and education services that will be tailored to suit the needs of individual DHBs in formats and at times as required by DHBs; and
- DHBs continuing to be able to purchase other suppliers’ brands of medical devices in the surgical suction, chest and wound drainage category.
Any changes to the original proposals?
This decision was subject to a consultation letter dated 18 April 2019. No changes have been made to the agreements as a result of consultation.
Who we think will be most interested
- DHB staff:
- Theatre and perioperative staff
- Clinical Engineers
- Surgical, speciality units, and general ward staff
- Procurement Officers
- Suppliers and Wholesalers
Detail about this decision
In 2018 PHARMAC issued Request for Proposals (“RFP”) for surgical suction, chest and wound drainage products. The RFP was for non-exclusive national agreements for listing on the Pharmaceutical Schedule.
After completing the RFP evaluation processes and consulting on the provisional Agreement reached with Culpan, PHARMAC has decided to list the medical devices in Part III of Section H of the Pharmaceutical Schedule from 1 July 2019. We anticipate consulting on further agreements in the coming months as a result of this RFP.
DHBs that purchase these medical devices from Culpan must do so under the terms and conditions and at the prices included in the Agreements, from 1 July 2019. DHBs can continue to choose which surgical suction, chest and wound drainage products they purchase.
Our response to what you told us
We appreciate the time people took to respond to this consultation.
A summary of the main themes raised in feedback and our responses to the feedback received are set out below:
PHARMAC Staff Comment
Feedback that no technical or resource impacts are expected as a result of the proposal.
If you have any questions about this decision, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org; or call our toll free number (9 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday) on 0800 66 00 50.
Last updated: 31 May 2019