Agreement for the supply of orthopaedic products supplied by NuVasive (AUST/NZ) Pty Limited
20 December 2018
What we’re doing
We are pleased to announce the approval of a listing agreement with NuVasive (AUST/NZ) Pty Limited (“NuVasive”) for the supply of their range of orthopaedic implants and associated products (“Orthopaedic Products”) to DHBs.
In summary, this will result in:
- Pharmaceutical Schedule listings for a range of 4,053 Orthopaedic Products supplied by NuVasive under a national agreement that all DHBs may purchase under (“Agreement”).
- DHBs continuing to be able to purchase other suppliers’ brands of Orthopaedic Products, as the Agreement is not for sole supply.
- The Orthopaedic Products being available for DHBs to purchase at the PHARMAC negotiated prices, and terms and conditions from 1 February 2019.
- NuVasive providing training and education services that will be tailored to suit the needs of individual DHBs in formats and at times as required by DHBs.
Any changes to the original proposal?
This agreement was the subject of a consultation letter dated 20 November 2018. Some minor changes have been made to the provisional list of products that was provided to DHBs with the consultation, including:
- Price adjustment of 122 products, to align with current pricing
- Removal of 12 products that have been discontinued
- Additional 23 products which DHBs are now using
There has been no further changes made. The consultation letter can be found on PHARMAC’s website.
Who we think will be most interested
- Suppliers and Wholesalers
- DHB Staff:
- Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Theatre and Sterile Services personnel
- Other perioperative personnel
- Procurement and supply chain personnel
Detail about this decision
In April 2016 PHARMAC issued a request for proposals (“RFP”) for orthopaedic implants and associated products. The RFP requested proposals for non-exclusive national agreements for listing on the Pharmaceutical Schedule.
After completing the RFP evaluation process, and consulting on the provisional Agreement reached with NuVasive, PHARMAC has decided to list NuVasive’s range of Orthopaedic Products in Part III of Section H of the Pharmaceutical Schedule from 1 February 2019.
The Agreement covers the following brands of Orthopaedic Products currently supplied by NuVasive to DHB Hospitals.
- CoRoent ranges
- Helix ranges
- MAGEC Rod
- MAS PLIF
- Oblique TLIF
- Phantom 1600
- X-Core ranges
- XLP Plus
DHBs that purchase these Medical Devices must do so under the terms and conditions, and at the prices, included in the Agreement, from 1 February 2019.
DHBs can continue to choose which Orthopaedic Products they purchase.
The Agreement includes terms and conditions for training and education services to be provided by NuVasive to DHB personnel on the appropriate use of its Orthopaedic Products, which is to be provided at times as agreed with individual DHBs.
The NuVasive Orthopaedic Products Agreement is one of a number of contracts PHARMAC has listed in this category on the Pharmaceutical Schedule. Further consultations in this category are expected over the next few months.
Our response to what you told us
We appreciate the time people took to respond to this consultation.
All consultation responses received by 11 December 2018 were considered in their entirety in making a decision to approve this provisional Agreement.
A summary of the only theme raised in feedback and our response to the feedback received is set out below:
|No technical or resource impacts anticipated||Noted|
If you have any questions about this decision, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org; or call our toll free number (9 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday) on 0800 66 00 50.
Last updated: 16 August 2019