Decision to list medical devices supplied by Universal Specialities Limited
28 June 2018
What we are doing
We are pleased to announce the approval of a listing agreement with Universal Specialities Limited (“USL”) for the supply of medical devices to DHB Hospitals.
Medical devices included:
- medical thermometers,
- single use instruments and
- medical devices used in the prevention of venous thromboembolism (“VTE Prevention”).
In summary this will result in:
- USL’s medical thermometers, single use instruments and VTE Prevention products being listed on the Pharmaceutical Schedule from 1 August 2018 under a national agreement that all DHBs may purchase under (“Agreement”).
- Estimated national savings of $11,000 per annum, assuming no change to current usage levels or product mix.
- DHBs continuing to be able to purchase other suppliers’ brands of medical thermometers, single use instruments and VTE Prevention products.
Any changes to the original proposal?
During consultation is was identified that a medical thermometer accessory was included in the Agreement twice. The Agreement was amended to remove the duplicate product.
Who we think will be most interested
- Suppliers and Wholesalers
- DHB Staff:
- Theatre and Sterile Services Personnel
- Clinical engineers
- Procurement and supply chain personnel
Detail about this decision
In 2016 PHARMAC issued Requests for Proposals (“RFPs”) for medical thermometers, single use instruments and VTE Prevention products. The RFPs were for non-exclusive national agreements for listing on the Pharmaceutical Schedule.
After completing the RFP evaluation processes and consulting on the provisional Agreement reached with USL, PHARMAC has decided to list USL’s range of medical thermometers, single use instruments and VTE Prevention products in Part III of Section H of the Pharmaceutical Schedule from 1 August 2018.
DHBs that purchase USL’s medical thermometers, single use instruments and VTE Prevention products must do so under the terms and conditions, and at the prices, included in the Agreement, from 1 August 2018. DHBs can continue to choose which medical thermometers, single use instruments and VTE Prevention products they purchase.
The Agreement includes terms and conditions for training and education to be provided by USL, on the appropriate use of their medical devices, which is to be provided at times as agreed with individual DHBs.
This is the final Agreement that will result from the VTE Prevention RFP.
Our response to what you told us
We appreciate the time people took to respond to this consultation.
A summary of the main themes raised in feedback and our responses to the feedback received are set out below:
Feedback that no technical or resource impacts are expected as a result of the proposal.
Noted that while the proposal offered national savings some DHBs would incur a cost increase as a result of the single use instruments proposal.
USL advised that the pricing offered in the proposal is the best pricing available for national contracting. USL is willing to work with DHBs with respect to product mix to mitigate any costs, and DHBs may also choose to purchase from other suppliers.
If you have any questions about this decision, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org; or call our toll free number (9 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday) on 0800 66 00 50.
Last updated: 16 May 2019