Decision to award sole supply to Remicade (infliximab)
28 November 2014
PHARMAC is pleased to announce that we have awarded Hospital Supply Status in DHB hospitals to Janssen-Cilag’s brand of infliximab, Remicade.
In summary, the effect of the decision is that:
- Remicade (infliximab) will be the only funded brand of infliximab able to be used in DHB hospitals, subject to a 10% Discretionary Variance (DV) limit, from 1 March 2015 to 29 February 2020.
No changes to the proposal were made following consideration of consultation feedback.
This decision will provide savings in excess of $5 million per annum to DHB expenditure.
Details of the decision
- From 1 January 2015 the price of Remicade listed in Part II of Section H (the Hospital Medicines List or HML) of the Pharmaceutical Schedule will be reduced as follows (ex-manufacturer and excluding GST):
Chemical Presentation Brand Pack size Current Price New Price Infliximab Inj 100 mg Remicade 1 $1,227.00 $806.00
- A confidential rebate will also apply to Remicade which will further reduce the price to DHBs.
- There will be no change to the current Restrictions that apply to infliximab.
- Remicade will have Hospital Supply Status (the only available brand of infliximab in DHB hospitals, subject to a 10% Discretionary Variance limit) for all currently funded indications from 1 March 2015 to 29 February 2020.
We appreciate all of the feedback that we received and acknowledge the time people took to respond. All consultation responses received by 12 November 2014 were considered in their entirety in making a decision on the proposal. All responses were supportive of the proposal.
If you have any questions about this decision, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call our toll free number (9 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday) on 0800 66 00 50.
Last updated: 12 February 2016