Proposal involving diazepam, gabapentin, naltrexone and venlafaxine
14 June 2013
PHARMAC is seeking feedback on provisional agreements with Arrow Pharmaceuticals (NZ) Limited for the supply of its brands of diazepam, gabapentin, naltrexone and venlafaxine in Section B and in Part II of Section H of the Pharmaceutical Schedule, and to apply reference pricing to the Nupentin brand of gabapentin.
In summary, this proposal would result in:
- the subsidy and delisting protection for diazepam 2 mg and 5 mg tablets (Arrow-Diazepam) being extended from 30 June 2014 (the current protection date) to 30 June 2017;
- Arrow-Gabapentin (gabapentin 100 mg, 300 mg and 400 mg capsules) being listed in the Pharmaceutical Schedule from 1 December 2013 subject to the same restrictions that apply to the Nupentin brand of gabapentin;
- the subsidy for the Nupentin brand of gabapentin 300 mg and 400 mg capsules in Section B of the Pharmaceutical Schedule being reduced to the level of the Arrow-Gabapentin subsidies via the application of reference pricing from 1 March 2014. This would mean that if the supplier of Nupentin did not reduce its price to match the new subsidy, patients would need to switch brands to remain on a fully funded brand of gabapentin;
- access to naltrexone 50 mg tablets (Naltraccord) being widened in Section B of the Pharmaceutical Schedule from 1 August 2013 via extension of the Special Authority approval periods from 3 to 6 months, in conjunction with a price decrease;
- the restrictions being removed from the Arrow-Venlafaxine XR brand of venlafaxine 37.5 mg, 75 mg, 150 mg and 225 mg tablets from 1 August 2013, in conjunction with a price decrease. The Efexor XR brand of venlafaxine 37.5 mg, 75 mg and 150 mg capsules would remain subject to the same restrictions that currently apply to it.
PHARMAC welcomes feedback on this proposal. To provide feedback, please submit it in writing by 5 pm on Friday, 28 June 2013 to:
Therapeutic Group Manager
Fax: 04 460 4995
Post: PO Box 10 254, Wellington 6143
All feedback received before the closing date will be considered by PHARMAC’s Board (or its delegate) prior to making a decision on this proposal.
Last updated: 3 March 2016