Sertraline: Setrona is the new funded brand
Sertraline is used to treat depression and related anxiety as well as some other mental health conditions.
The funded brand of sertraline is changing from Arrow-Sertraline to Setrona. The brand that PHARMAC currently funds is a generic medicine, so this change means a different generic brand will be funded.
Your new brand is available from 1 October 2019
- From 1 October 2019, Setrona will be fully funded and available for patients.
- From 1 March 2020, only Setrona will be fully funded. Arrow-Sertraline will no longer be funded.
Setrona works the same as the other brands
- Setrona will work in the same way as Arrow-Sertraline. Setrona has the same active ingredient and is delivered to the body in the same way.
- Setrona has been thoroughly evaluated by Medsafe to ensure it’s safe and works the same as the other brands.
- It’s understandable that you might have questions about changing your medicine, but you shouldn’t notice any difference when you change to Setrona. If you have any questions or concerns about changes to medicines, you should talk with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
There’s more information about medicines and changes to medicines on PHARMAC’s website: The facts about generic and biosimilar medicines.
Your new brand comes in tablets
Your brand is changing to help us fund other medicines
A decision to change a medicine, especially one as important as sertraline, isn’t taken lightly.
Our job is to make sure New Zealanders have access to the medicines they need. Making changes to medicines helps us achieve that by freeing up our limited budget to fund other medicines in the community.
Find out more
If you have any questions or concerns about changing brands, talk with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist. You can also get more information from us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 0800 66 00 50.
For healthcare professionals
Healthcare professionals play an important role in supporting patients through changes to their medicines. We’d like to support you as you help your patients through the changes to sertraline.
We’ve prepared some material for you to share with people as they change brands.
Here are patient information leaflets that you can download and print.
Key points to tell your patients about Setrona
- Setrona has the same active ingredient (sertraline) as the other brands. This means the new brand of medication is just as safe and works the same as the old brand. Patients shouldn’t notice any difference in how it affects them.
- Setrona comes in tablets and will look a little different from Arrow-Sertraline - this will not change how well the medicine works.
Last updated: 12 September 2019