Fluoxetine: Fluox is the new funded brand
Fluoxetine is used to treat depression and related anxiety, as well as some other mental health conditions.
The funded brand of fluoxetine is changing from Arrow-Fluoxetine to Fluox. The brand that PHARMAC currently funds is a generic medicine, so this change means a different generic brand will be funded.
Your new brand is available from 1 November 2019
- From 1 November 2019, Fluox will be fully funded and available for patients.
- From 1 April 2020, only Fluox will be fully funded. Arrow-Fluoxetine will no longer be funded.
Fluox works the same as the other brands
- Fluox will work in the same way as Arrow-Fluoxetine. Fluox has the same active ingredient and is delivered to the body in the same way.
- Fluox has been thoroughly evaluated by Medsafe to ensure it’s safe and works the same as the other brands.
- It’s understandable that you might have questions about changing your medicine, but you shouldn’t notice any difference when you change to Fluox. If you have any questions or concerns about changes to medicines, you should talk with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.
There’s more information about medicines and changes to medicines on PHARMAC’s website: The facts about generic and biosimilar medicines.
Your new brand comes in capsules or dispersible tablets
Find out more
If you have any questions or concerns about changing brands, talk with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist. You can also get more information from us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 0800 66 00 50.
For healthcare professionals
Healthcare professionals play an important role in supporting patients through changes to their medicines. We’d like to support you as you help your patients through the changes to fluoxetine.
We’ve prepared some material for you to share with people as they change brands.
Here are patient information leaflets that you can download and print.
Key points to tell your patients about Fluox
- Fluox has the same active ingredient (fluoxetine) as the other brands. This means the new brand of medication is just as safe and works the same as the old brand. Patients shouldn’t notice any difference in how it affects them.
- Fluox comes in capsules and dispersible tablets and will look different from Arrow-Fluoxetine - this will not change how well the medicine works.
- Fluox is a brand that has previously been funded.
Last updated: 30 September 2019