My medicine has changed
From time to time there will be a change from the medicine you used to take.
There can be several reasons why this happens.
- The manufacturer of the medicine removes it from New Zealand and so an alternative is provided at no additional cost to you.
- The manufacturer changes the name of the medicine.
- A replacement medicine has become available at a lower price.
- These are some recent changes to medicines which are funded in New Zealand, for which we've produced patient information.
- There's more information about each change behind the links.
- We keep some completed changes in this list because people still ask about them.
|Medicine||From||To||New brand funded||Old brand only part-funded||Old brand no longer funded - only new brand funded|
|Allopurinol||Apo-Allopurinol||Allopurinol-Apotex||1 Dec 2016||1 Jun 2017|
|Alprazolam||Xanax||Not funded||1 Mar 2017||1 Sep 2017|
|Amisulpride||Solian||Sulprix||1 Sep 2016||1 Nov 2016||1 Feb 2017|
|Atorvastatin||Zarator||Lorstat||1 Sep 2016||1 Nov 2016||1 Feb 2017|
|Goserelin and leuprorelin||Zoladex, Eligard and Lucrin||Only Zoladex||1 Dec 2016|
|Head lice treatment||New dimethicone lotion||1 May 2017|
|Hepatitis C treatments||Harvoni, Viekira Pak® and Viekira Pak-RBV®||1 Jul 2016|
|Leflunomide||Arava||Apo-Leflunomide||1 Apr 2017||1 June 2017||1 Sep 2017|
|Mirtazapine||Avanza||Apo-Mirtazapine||1 Sep 2016||1 Nov 2016||1 Feb 2017|
|Prednisolone eye drops||Pred Forte||Prednisolone-AFT||1 Nov 2016||1 Jan 2017||1 Apr 2017|
|Sumatriptan injections||Sun-Pharma||Clustran||1 Feb 2017||1 July 2017|
|Sumatriptan tablets||Arrow-Sumatriptan||Apo-Sumatriptan||1 Apr 2017||1 Jun 2017||1 Sep 2017|
|Venlafaxine||Arrow-Venlafaxine XR, Efexor XR||Enlafax XR||1 Apr 2017||1 Jun 2017||1 Sep 2017|
- Antipsychotic medicines:
- Cardiovascular medicines
- Erythropoietin (EPO)
- Ezetimibe with simvastatin
- Fentanyl patches
- Haemophilia treatments
- Respiratory devices
Last updated: 21 June 2017