Consumer voices review 2018
We’re looking at how we seek and incorporate consumer voices into our work, including how we make funding decisions for medicines and medical devices.
By consumer, we mean any person who receives, or may receive, a funded medicine or medical device.
Over May and June 2018, we sought feedback from people around Aotearoa New Zealand about this.
We visited five locations, held a meeting with groups who represent consumers, distributed a discussion document, and had an online survey.
Thank you to everyone who provided us with feedback.
What you told us
Some key themes that came from the consultation included:
- Consumers want to be more visible in our funding process and have input earlier on in the process.
- Consumers want their lived experiences to be considered in our decisions on funding (and changing) medicines.
- Consumers want more information on brand changes, an opportunity to have their say earlier, and easier ways to give feedback after changes have been made.
- PHARMAC’s Consumer Advisory Committee needs to be representative of consumers and enable their voices to be a part of PHARMAC’s processes.
What we’re doing
We identified three core principles that underpin and describe the purposes of our engagement with consumers. These principles reflect our intent in engaging with consumers and signal where we see opportunities for improvement and change:
- Understanding consumers needs and the impact of our decisions.
- Delivering support and information to educate and inform consumers.
- Partnering with communities on the design and delivery of our work.
We’ve developed an action plan for work that is underway, or will begin, in the next 12 months to address feedback we received. This includes a review of the role and function of our Consumer Advisory Committee.
We’re also kicking off work to better understand our consumers, including those we’re not currently hearing from. We need to better understand who they are, and how we can reach them. It is likely that further activity will be added to this action plan as we continue with this work.
What we asked you: A discussion document on the consumer voice in PHARMAC's work [PDF, 708 KB]
What you told us: Summary of feedback: consumer voice in PHARMAC's work [PDF, 581 KB]
What we're doing: Consumer voices action plan
Last updated: 19 December 2018