Working with HML data
How to export list information and create your own lists
The Hospital Medicines List (HML) – Part II of Section H of the Pharmaceutical Schedule – is a nationally consistent pharmaceutical list. DHB hospitals started prescribing from the HML on 1 July 2013. Developed by clinicians, pharmacists and PHARMAC, the list is designed to give New Zealanders access to the same hospital medicine, wherever in the country they are being treated.
This Fact Sheet explains ways you can generate alphabetical, or other tailored pharmaceutical lists from the HML, for use in your own DHB or local technology systems.
Exporting the list to Excel or .csv file
If you are already in the interactive HML (accessible via the ‘>HML online’ link at the bottom of the page throughout the PHARMAC website) go to the entry page and click on the <
- Load - To see the most current list select the top file name and click the ‘Load’ button.
- View - Choose the data set required – click on the relevant button.
- Export - Select the file type you want to work with and click ‘Export’.
If you export to Excel the exported spreadsheet will be tabbed into the four different parts of the list. The lists are presented alphabetically.
- the first tab shows the pharmaceuticals that have been delisted that month
- the next tab is a list of pharmaceuticals commencing Hospital Supply Status (HSS) in the next couple of months
- the third tab is a list of all the pharmaceuticals which have HSS and
- the final tab is the full list is of all HML pharmaceuticals.
How to extract pharmacodes for a therapeutic group
- Generate an Excel file as above and select the ‘Hospital Medicines’ tab (fourth tab) at the bottom of the spreadsheet.
- To generate a list for a specific therapeutic group (or subgroup) – for example, ‘fluids and electrolytes’ – use the Excel filter function.
The Excel filter
- Select either of the three therapeutic group/sub-group columns (TG1, TG2 or TG3) and click in the header cell.
- Click the Excel Sort & Filter button. Drop down arrows will appear in all the header cells.
- Click on one of the TG cells arrows and you will see all the included group headings listed with tick boxes.
- Uncheck the ‘Select All’ box.
- Then tick any group you wish to generate a list for. You can get to the group name more quickly by typing into the Search tab – for example ‘fluids’. Click OK.
Last updated: 18 June 2018