Device Advice – Issue 33
- We want your feedback - consultation is underway on the approach for the next stage in PHARMAC’s management of medical devices
- 7 consultations for national contracts are currently open. There are no RFPs currently open.
In this issue
PHARMAC is now consulting on the next phase of our management of hospital medical devices.
We’re looking for your feedback on a new way for DHBs, PHARMAC, suppliers and others to work together to manage access to the devices purchased by DHB hospitals for use in hospitals or in the community.
The scope of our work in medical devices covers diverse products and equipment – items that are generally used on, in or by a person for a diagnostic or therapeutic purpose. This includes consumable and durable products, implantables and complex equipment – everything from a cotton swab to an orthopaedic implant or home dialysis machine.
During the consultation period, PHARMAC staff are visiting all DHBs to meet with staff. We’ve already visited 8 DHBs, with more visits planned for May and June. We appreciate the time people have taken to talk to us about the proposal.
We’re also holding a forum specifically for medical device suppliers in Auckland on Tuesday, 28 May. We’d love you to come along. Please register to confirm your attendance.
If your organisation would like to meet us during consultation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
To read the consultation document and provide feedback, go to www.pharmac.govt.nz/devices
Consultation closes on 28 June 2019.
As of 1 May 2019, the Pharmaceutical Schedule includes over 100,000 line items from over 70 suppliers. These contracts cover approximately $242 million of annual DHB hospital expenditure on medical devices.
All contracted products are represented as listings in the Addendum for Medical Devices in Section H, Part III of the Pharmaceutical Schedule.
The following agreements have been completed since the last Device Advice, with listings on the Pharmaceutical Schedule to follow:
- Market share for permanent coronary drug eluting stents to Abbott Laboratories NZ Limited
- Surgical suction, chest and wound drainage supplied by Getinge Australia Pty Ltd, ConvaTec (New Zealand) Limited, Defries Industries New Zealand Limited, Laerdal (New Zealand) Limited, REM Systems Limited, Intermed Medical Limited, Jackson Allison Medical & Surgical Limited and Universal Specialties Limited
- Patient warming and cooling supplied by EBOS Group Limited, Surgico Medical & Surgical Limited, 3M New Zealand Limited, Molnlycke Health Care Pty Ltd, New Zealand Medical & Scientific, W M Bamford & Co Limited, Gallay Medical & Scientific NZ Pty Limited, Intermed Medical Limited, Jackson Allison Medical & Surgical Limited and Universal Specialties Limited
- Non-invasive ventilation supplied by Intermed Medical Limited and Jackson Allison Medical & Surgical Limited
- Endomechanical and electrosurgical supplied by Hallmark Surgical Limited, 3M New Zealand Limited, Big Green Surgical Company, Molnlycke Health Care Pty Ltd, W M Bamford & Co Limited
- Continence products supplied by Asaleo Care New Zealand Limited and SPQ Limited
- Respiratory equipment and consumables supplied by MedXus Limited, W M Bamford & Co Limited and Universal Specialties Limited
- Needles and syringes products supplied by Culpan Distributors Ltd, Universal Specialities Limited (USL Medical) and Boucher & Muir (NZ) Ltd
- Interventional radiology products supplied by Stryker New Zealand Ltd, and Merit Medical
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology products supplied by REM Systems Limited
Watch our website for the latest about what’s happening in each category.
Here are some highlights of recent activities:
|Continence products||3M New Zealand Limited||Closes 9 May 2019|
|Urology products||Protec Solutions Limited||Closes 9 May 2019|
|Patient warming and cooling products||Bard Australia Pty Limited||Closes 2 May 2019|
|Needles and syringes||Becton Dickinson Limited||Closes 1 May 2019|
Annual Procurement Plan – what’s next?
You can find our Annual Procurement Plan (APP) that lists expected procurements for the next 12 months on our website. We update it at the beginning of March and the beginning of November each year. The Annual Procurement Plan will give you an idea of what’s coming up.
Getting the RFPs
All requests for proposals (RFPs) are listed on both:
- PHARMAC’s website and
- the New Zealand Government Electronic Tenders Service (GETS) website(external link).
GETS has limited options for capturing details within the RFP headline description, so we advise suppliers to read the RFP details to confirm the scope of products we’re seeking to contract.
You’re welcome to contact us directly at email@example.com or 04 460 4990, or contact the individual identified in the relevant notification/consultation.
You can find our contracted medical devices listed under Section H, Part III of the Pharmaceutical Schedule.
Feel free to circulate this newsletter to anyone you think might be interested.
Feedback on this update
If you have any feedback on this update, please let us know what you think via email on firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated: 13 September 2019