Device Advice – Issue 31
- Five RFPs and five consultations are currently open, including market share consultation for drug eluting stents
- Listings have been announced for:
- Urology, ostomy and continence products
- Needles and syringes, and respiratory equipment and consumable products
- Interventional radiology products
- Custom designed orthopaedic implants and associated implant design services
- Haemodialysis products
- Interventional radiology products
- Further RFPs to be released in the first half of 2019
In this issue
Most of our current work is focused on negotiating national contracts with suppliers to set nationally consistent prices on items that DHBs are already purchasing.
Our aim is to build both a catalogue and understanding of medical devices so that we can mature our approach and deliver greater benefits over time. National contracts also offer some early savings on products DHBs are already using.
DHBs can continue to make choices about which products and brands they purchase. When purchasing brands that are under PHARMAC contract, DHBs must use the PHARMAC national contract pricing, terms and conditions.
All contracted products are represented as listings in Addendum for Medical Devices in Section H of the Pharmaceutical Schedule.
As of 1 December 2018, the Pharmaceutical Schedule includes over 93,000 line items from over 60 suppliers. These contracts cover approximately $228 million of annual DHB hospital expenditure on medical devices.
PHARMAC continues to target the end of 2019 for completion of our national contracting work.
The following agreements were completed since the last notification, with listings on the Pharmaceutical Schedule to follow:
- Urology, ostomy and continence products supplied by Universal Specialties Ltd, Convatec (New Zealand) Ltd and by Coloplast Pty Ltd and Liberty Medical NZ Limited
- Needles and syringes, and respiratory equipment and consumable products supplied by Intermed Medical Limited
- Interventional radiology products supplied by Teleflex Medical New Zealand Limited
- Custom designed orthopaedic implants and associated implant design services supplied by Ossis Limited
- Haemodialysis products supplied by Defries Industries New Zealand Limited
- Needles and syringes, and respiratory equipment supplied by REM SYSTEMS Limited
- Interventional radiology products supplied by Bard Australia Pty Ltd
As we continue to expand our devices work, our website will keep you up-to-date with what’s happening in each category but here are some highlights of recent RFP activity:
- Orthopaedic implants and associated products contracting nearing completion
- Patient warming and cooling contracting underway
- Endomechanical instruments, electrosurgical instruments, energy platforms and consumable products contracting underway
- Non-invasive ventilation, oxygen concentrators, respiratory gas humidifiers and associated products evaluation completed. Moving to notifying successful respondents and undertaking contracting
- Single use instrument contracting nearing completion
- Anaesthesia consumables and small equipment contracting nearing completion
- Urology, ostomy and continence evaluation and contracting continuing
- Interventional radiology contracting nearing completion
- Respiratory care contracting underway
- Needles and syringes contracting underway
- Surgical suction and wound drainage RFP evaluation underway
- Infusion equipment and consumables RFP evaluation underway
- Obstetric and gynaecology devices and related products RFP closed 30 November 2018
- Rehabilitation equipment, patient positioning products and supports RFP closes 5 December 2018
- Multi-category patient assessment, monitoring and treatment equipment and consumables RFP closes 14 December 2018
- Feeding devices RFP closes 14 December 2018
- Drapes, gowns and procedure packs RFP closes 18 January 2019
- Laboratory products RFP extended to 29 March 2019.
The following consultations are currently underway:
Market share contract consultation
National contract consultation
- Interventional radiology products supplied by Edwards Lifesciences (New Zealand) Ltd
- Needles and syringes supplied by B. Braun New Zealand Pty Limited
- Haemodialysis equipment and products by BSN Medical Limited
- Orthopaedic implants and associated consumables supplied by NuVasive (Aust/NZ) Pty Ltd
- Needles and syringes supplied by Medtronic
- Ostomy products supplied by Omnigon Pty Ltd
We are working on releasing further RFPs in the first half of 2019 in the following category areas:
- central sterile services department (CSSD) and sluice room equipment and consumables
- dental & oral health devices
- diagnostic imaging
PHARMAC’s Annual Procurement Plan (APP) is published on our website and updated at the beginning of April and the beginning of November each year. It is a list of expected procurements for the next 12 months, and while it isn't exhaustive, and some opportunities may not end up going ahead as planned, it will give you an idea of what might come up.
All RFP documentation will be listed on the PHARMAC website and on the New Zealand Government Electronic Tenders Service (GETS) website(external link). As GETS has limited options for capturing details within the RFP headline description, we advise suppliers to read the RFP details to confirm the scope of products we’re seeking to contract.
You are welcome to contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or 04 460 4990. (Note: notifications/consultations are sent from our email@example.com email address – if responding to these, please contact the individual identified in the relevant notification/consultation, rather than replying to the email you receive.)
You can find our contracted medical devices listed under Section H, Part III of the Pharmaceutical Schedule.
Feel free to circulate this newsletter to anyone you think might be interested.
If you have any feedback on this update, please let us know what you think via email on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last updated: 18 April 2019