Device Advice - issue 30
- Evaluating proposals received for the Surgical Suction, Chest and Wound Drainage RFP, Patient Warming and Cooling RFP, Infusion Devices RFP, Endomechanical Electrosurgical and Energy Platforms RFP, and Non-Invasive Ventilation Equipment and Associated Products RFP, Urology, Ostomy and Continence RFP
- Upcoming RFPs expected to be released between now and November 2018
In this issue
Most of our current work is focused on negotiating national contracts with suppliers to set national prices on items that DHBs are already purchasing. Our aim is to build both a catalogue, and understanding of medical devices so that we can mature our approach and deliver greater benefits over time. National contracts also offer some early savings on products DHBs are already using.
DHBs can continue to make choices about which products and brands they purchase. When purchasing brands that are under PHARMAC contract, DHBs must use the PHARMAC national agreements pricing and contract conditions.
All contracts are represented as listings in Addendum for Medical Devices in Section H of the Pharmaceutical Schedule.
As of 1 October 2018, the Pharmaceutical Schedule includes over 87,000 line items from over 60 suppliers. These contracts cover approximately $200 million of annual DHB hospital expenditure on medical devices.
PHARMAC continues to target the end of 2019 for completion of our national contracting work. We are also continuing the development of the next steps for our medical devices work.
The following agreements were completed in August and September 2018, with listings on the Pharmaceutical Schedule to follow:
Respiratory equipment and consumables supplied by Device Technologies New Zealand Limited, anaesthesia small equipment and consumables supplied by Medipak Surgical NZ Limited, and respiratory care products and anaesthesia products supplied by Draeger New Zealand Limited
As we continue to expand our devices work, our website will keep you up-to-date with what’s happening in each category but here are some highlights of recent RFP activity:
- Medical thermometers contracting now completed
- Haemodialysis contracting has commenced
- Urology, ostomy and continence evaluations and contracting underway
- Infusion Devices evaluation underway
- Endomechanical Electrosurgical and Energy Platforms evaluation underway
- Non-Invasive Ventilation Equipment and Associated Products evaluation underway
- Patient Warming and Cooling RFP evaluation underway
- Surgical suction, chest and wound drainage RFP evaluation underway
- Laboratory products RFP closes on 23 November. We estimate this category covers spend of approximately $50 million per year, representing a significant portion of DHB Hospital expenditure not yet under national contracts
The following consultations currently underway:
- Haemodialysis equipment and products supplied by Defries Industries New Zealand Limited
- Interventional radiology products supplied by Teleflex Medical New Zealand
- Interventional radiology products supplied by Bard Australia
- Orthopaedic implants and associated implant design services supplied by Ossis Limited
- Urology, ostomy and continence products supplied by Coloplast Pty Ltd
- Urology, ostomy and continence products supplied by Liberty Medical NZ Limited
We are working on releasing further RFPs over October and November in the following category areas:
- Rehabilitation equipment
- Patient positioning products and supports
- Feeding devices and special foods
- Dental devices
- Physical exam and patient monitoring
- Surgical drapes, gowns and packs
- Obstetric and gynaecological devices
- Theatre devices.
All RFP documentation will be listed on the PHARMAC website and on the New Zealand Government Electronic Tenders Service (GETS(external link)) website. As GETS has limited options for capturing details within the RFP headline description, we advise suppliers and other interested parties to read the RFP details to confirm the scope of products we’re seeking to contract.
PHARMAC will be presenting at the following conferences in 2018:
- NZ Orthopaedic Association Annual Scientific Meeting, Rotorua, 14-17 October
- Renal Society of Australasia, Dunedin, 26 October
- NZ Institute of Healthcare Engineering, Napier, 7-9 November
You are welcome to contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or 04 460 4990. (Note: notifications/consultations are sent from our email@example.com email address – if responding to these, please contact the individual identified in the relevant notification/consultation, rather than replying to the email you receive.)
You can find our contracted medical devices listed under Section H, Part III of the Pharmaceutical Schedule.
Feel free to circulate this newsletter to anyone you think might be interested.
Feedback on this update
If you have any feedback on this update, please let us know what you think via email on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last updated: 2 September 2019