Device Advice – Issue 27
- Release of RFI for feeding devices and special foods, and RFPs for haemodialysis equipment
- Evaluating recent RFP responses
- Approval of negative pressure wound therapy agreements
In this issue
As of 1 April 2018, the Pharmaceutical Schedule includes over 70,000 line items from over 40 suppliers. These contracts cover approximately $160 to $170 million of annual expenditure.
We're continuing with our national contracting activity and aim to have the full scope of hospital medical devices under national contract by the end of 2019. To see what categories are underway, visit our website.
- Feeding devices (enteral and oral) and special foods – PHARMAC recently released a targeted Request for Information (RFI) on feeding devices (enteral and oral) special foods used in DHB hospitals to key DHB stakeholders to better understand DHB need and how they operate in this area. This would help inform PHARMAC's commercial approach. (Feeding devices are used to deliver special foods – which aid in the dietary management of people with certain diseases, disorders or medical conditions – into the body.)
This is the first time PHARMAC is considering a commercial approach which encompasses both special foods and the associated feeding devices (such as the enteral feeding pumps that deliver the special foods). For more information, contact email@example.com.
- Endomechanical instruments – PHARMAC has released a Request for Proposals (RFP) for the supply of endomechanical instruments, electrosurgical instruments, energy platforms and consumable products.
See the RFP for endomechanical instruments
- Haemodialysis equipment and products – PHARMAC has released an RFP for the supply of haemodialysis equipment and products to New Zealand DHB hospitals and associated community settings.
See the RFP for haemodialysis equipment/products
Interventional radiology – Following the release of the RFP for interventional radiology products last year, contract negotiations for this category are currently underway with suppliers.
Anaesthesia small equipment and consumables devices – In March 2018, we announced the approval of a new agreement with Teleflex Medical New Zealand Ltd for listings on the Pharmaceutical Schedule from 1 May 2018.
We also announced the approval of three individual listing agreements with MedXus Limited, REM SYSTEMS Limited and Device Technologies New Zealand Limited.
This brings the total number of anaesthesia product agreements to eight. We intend to consult on proposed agreements for anaesthesia products with other suppliers over the next few months.
Negative pressure wound therapy equipment and consumables (NPWT Products) – In April 2018, we announced the approval of a further agreement with Intermed Medical Limited for its NPWT Products to be listed from 1 May 2018. We intend to consult on further proposed agreements for NPWT Products with other suppliers over the next few months.
In March 2018, we announced the approval of two agreements with CR Kennedy Ltd and KCI New Zealand Unlimited for their NPWT products to be listed on the Pharmaceutical Schedule from 1 April 2018.
Hand hygiene – Following the release of the RFP for non-surgical antimicrobial hand hygiene products last year, contract negotiations for this category are currently underway with suppliers.
We are continuing to evaluate responses to RFPs for needles and syringes, and respiratory equipment and consumables (including respiratory suction).
We would like to thank everyone for their responses to the various RFPs we have held over the last few months.
Market share procurement
Permanent coronary drug-eluting stents – We are currently evaluating responses to the RFP for the supply of permanent drug-eluting stents released in November 2017. The Interventional Cardiology Advisory Group met on 16 March 2018 to provide clinical advice on the DES submitted for consideration.
MTANZ HealthTech Week Conference
PHARMAC staff will be attending the MTANZ HealthTech Week Conference in Auckland in June 2018, where PHARMAC will be presenting on medical devices. This will be a great opportunity to talk to suppliers and hear from a range of speakers about device innovation. We look forward to seeing you there.
The following consultations are open
Various medical devices (medical thermometers, single use instruments, and medical devices used in the prevention of venous thromboembolism (VTE prevention) supplied by Obex Medical Ltd.
Single use instruments, and orthopaedic implants and associated products supplied by Downs Distributors New Zealand Ltd and Surgico Medical and Surgical Ltd.
We are continuing our national contracting activity on expanded categories, including RFP releases, for:
- Urology, ostomy, continency
- IV equipment and consumables
- Patient warming (heat and cold therapy)
- Non-invasive ventilation
- Feeding Devices (Enteral and Oral) and Special Foods (RFP).
Any RFP documentation will be listed on the PHARMAC website and on the New Zealand Government Electronic Tenders Service (GETS) website(external link). As GETS has limited options for capturing details within the RFP headline description, we advise suppliers to read the RFP details to confirm the scope of products we’re seeking to contract.
As we continue to expand our devices work, our website will keep you up to date with what’s happening in each category.
You are also welcome to contact us directly at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 04 460 4990. (Note: notifications/consultations are sent from our email@example.com email address – if responding, please email the individual identified in the update, rather than this email address.)
You can find all our medical devices listed under Section H, Part III of the Pharmaceutical Schedule.
Feel free to circulate this newsletter to anyone you think might be interested.
Last updated: 19 February 2019