- Release of Request for Proposal (RFP) for non-surgical antimicrobial hand hygiene products
- RFP for needles/syringes soon to be released
- RFPs for market share for permanent coronary drug eluting stents coming soon
- Ongoing contracting continues in 6 categories.
In this issue
As at 1 November 2017, the Pharmaceutical Schedule will include around 69,000 line items from 35 suppliers. These contracts cover approximately $155 million to $165 million of annual DHB expenditure.
PHARMAC has sought feedback to list the following products in the Pharmaceutical Schedule:
- Medical thermometer products supplied by Terumo Australia Pty Limited – consultation closes 5pm, 3 November 2017.
- Single-use instruments with three suppliers (Amtech Medical Ltd, Defries Industries New Zealand Ltd and Hallmark Surgical Ltd) – consultation closes 5pm, 6 November 2017
- Interventional radiology products – the RFP closes 30 October 2017. The interventional radiology category covers devices used in minimally invasive, image-guided, diagnostic and treatment procedures through either the skin or peripheral blood vessels. These products comprise around $20 million per year in District Health Board spending, and have similar types of suppliers to interventional cardiology.
- Drug eluting stents – in early November, we plan to release an RFP for dual and/or sole supply market share of permanent coronary drug eluting stents. These products are the biggest single segment in interventional cardiology, covering approximately $8 million per year in annual DHB spending.
- Non-surgical antimicrobial hand hygiene products – RFP released on 25 October 2017.
- Needles and syringes – RFP to be released in next two months.
The release of the RFP for coronary drug eluting stents (DES) follows advice from the Interventional Cardiology Advisory Group in August to assist PHARMAC’s future strategy for managing interventional cardiology devices. Advance notice of the RFP has been published on GETS and on the PHARMAC website.
A supplier briefing will be held in the week following the publication of the DES Market Share RFP. Click here to register.
- Date: Wednesday 15 November 2017
- Time: 1pm
- Location: Takaparawhau Board Room, BNZ Partners Business Centre, Level 8, Deloitte Tower, 80 Queen Street, Auckland
Wound care products
PHARMAC continues to work closely with DHBs as they monitor their compliance levels in relation to the wound care market share agreements.
Work has now commenced on the post-implementation review which is being undertaken by an external research company. We’ll be following up with DHBs and suppliers to get input into this review.
Endomechanical and electrosurgical products – work is now underway with an RFP to follow soon.
Contracting activity – work continues with activity in the following categories:
- Anaesthesia consumables
- Medical Thermometers
- Negative pressure wound therapy products
- Orthopaedic products
- Respiratory equipment and consumables (including suction)
- VTE prevention devices.
PHARMAC will have a stand at the following conference:
- New Zealand Anaesthesia ASM 2017(external link), 8–11 November 2017, Rotorua.
If you are attending, make sure you stop by to have a chat.
We also had a stand at the recent 44th Annual Conference of Perioperative Nurses 2017, held in Napier on 19–21 October, and it was great to have the opportunity to speak with many attendees.
You can also find all our medical devices listed under Part III of the Pharmaceutical Schedule.
Feel free to circulate this newsletter to anyone you think might be interested.
Last updated: 19 February 2019