Your guide to PHARMAC
If you want to know more about PHARMAC’s work, these factsheets are for you. Our work touches most New Zealanders in some way, so it's important to us that it's easy for you to find out what we do and how we work.
These factsheets cover many of the issues that you've told us you want to know about. These include how PHARMAC began, how the pharmaceutical budget is set, and PHARMAC’s role in promoting the optimal use of medicines.
- Welcome to PHARMAC
- PHARMAC's history
- Our place in the health system
- Making funding decisions
- Medicines and medical devices contract negotiation
- The facts about medicines – generic and biosimilar
- Managing medicine supply
- Setting and managing the Combined Pharmaceutical Budget (CPB)
- Medicine targeting
- Improving access and responsible use of medicines
- Getting clinical advice into our decision-making
- Engaging with consumers
- Getting involved in PHARMAC decision-making
- Inside the Pharmaceutical Schedule
- Medical devices
History of PHARMAC
In 2018, PHARMAC marked 25 years helping New Zealanders live longer and healthier lives.
Last updated: 11 March 2020