Some medicines are very expensive. To help ensure these are appropriately targeted, PHARMAC manages panels of expert doctors to provide advice on exceptional circumstances applications or to apply the Special Authority criteria on which patients can access treatments.
- Dr George Laking – Chair, Oncologist
- Dr Christina Cameron – Consultant General Physician and Clinical Pharmacologist
- Dr Rachel Webb – Paediatric Infectious Disease Physician
- Dr Malcolm Dyer – General Practitioner
- Dr Dylan Mordaunt – Clinical Geneticist
- Dr John Mottershead – Consultant Neurologist
- Dr Paul Ockelford – Clinical Haematologist
- Dr Nina Sawicki – General Practitioner
- Dr Paul Timmings – Neurologist
- Dr Justin Travers – General and Respiratory Physician
In addition to the Advisory Panel, PHARMAC may seek independent advice from specialists with experience relevant to the specific case being considered.
- Dr Cass Byrnes – Respiratory Paediatrician
- Dr Richard Laing – Respiratory Physician
- Dr Mark O’Carroll – Respiratory Physician
- Dr Ian Shaw – Paediatrician
- Dr Ian Hosford – Chair, Psychiatrist
- Dr Colin Chong – Radiologist
- Dr Timothy Hawkins – Haematologist
- Dr Callum Wilson – Metabolic Consultant
- Dr Ian Hosford (Chair) – Consultant Psychogeriatrician
- Dr Nyree Cole – Paediatric Haematologist
- Dr Paul Harper – Haematologist
- Dr Paul Ockelford – Haematologist
- Dr Julia Philips – Haematologist
- Brian Ramsay – specialist haemophilia nurse, Head of Haemophilia Treaters Group
The Haemophilia Treatments Panel has been set up to consider applications for funded access to the Kogenate FS and Advate brands of recombinant Factor VIII. It is administered by PHARMAC. The Panel members are senior clinicians, mainly haematologists that treat haemophilia in New Zealand.
- Professor Edward Gane – Hepatologist
- Professor Catherine Stedman – Gastroenterologist and Clinical Pharmacologist
- Dr Jeffrey Wong – Gastroenterologist
- Dr Campbell White – Consultant Physician and Gastroenterologist
- Sarah Fitt – Director of Operations, PHARMAC
The Hepatitis C Treatment Panel has been set up to consider applications for funded access to Harvoni for the treatment of hepatitis C in patients with severe liver disease. It is administered by PHARMAC. The Panel members are hepatitis C treatment specialists.
As of 1 July 2016, applications for funding of insulin pumps and consumables will be made through the standard Special Authority process. Submissions for funding are no longer made to the Insulin Pump Panel.
Special Authority forms are now available for insulin pumps and consumables:
For more information, please see the notification on these access changes (published 1 March 2016).
If you have any questions regarding these changes, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr Ernest Willoughby – Chair, Neurologist
- Dr David Abernethy – Neurologist
- Dr Neil Anderson – Neurologist
- Dr John Mottershead – Neurologist
- Dr Alan Wright – Neurologist
- Dr Howard Wilson – General Practitioner/Pharmacologist
- Dr Andrew Aitken – Cardiologist
- Dr Lutz Beckert – Respiratory Physician
- Dr Clare O'Donnell – Paediatric Congenital Cardiologist
- Dr Kenneth Whyte – Respiratory Physician
Last updated: 29 June 2018