Our website is changing.
New section - Hospital devices
What: We've given the information about our work on hospital medical devices its own section.
- Before, it was part of our "Medicines" section, which wasn't where most people would look for it.
- Taking on negotiating agreements for medical devices in hospitals is a big and important piece of work for us. It was time for our site structure to show that.
When: 1 June 2017
After a time when we haven't made many noticeable changes to the website, we're starting a month of small improvements.
What: The first of these is that videos in our pages will now resize to fit the screen, whether it's a monitor or a mobile phone. They also support fullscreen, so you can watch them at the biggest size your screen will handle. We use videos a lot in seminars for medical professionals. We hope this makes watching those seminars more pleasant.
When: 26 March 2017
- Website search results will now correct many typos in searches (such as if you search for "fctors" instead of "factors"), but will give you the option of saying you really did want to search for the terms you typed in. (This doesn't yet work in the Application Tracker or Schedule, sorry.)
- Website search results now show web addresses and—where they're available—images from the result pages.
- gave our news-types web addresses that make sense, replacing "www.pharmac.govt.nz/news/?tag=6" with www.pharmac.govt.nz/news/notifications
- fixed a display bug which meant that if you printed out the list of seminars we're running, they all showed as full (only some of them are full: book now!)
- tweaked the seminar booking form
- added some new options for our content editors and smoothed some quirks in our editing tool (converting all those multi-level lists in prescribing rules doesn't happen automatically... yet)
- upgraded our software.
When: 23 March 2016
What: Fixing broken searches of site content, which hadn't been displaying the 10 most relevant search results. (How frustrating is that?)
When: 26 February 2016.
What: Bringing back basic newsfeeds.
When: 29 January 2016.
Where in the site: Look for the newsfeed icon next to the main heading on our news page and news category pages:
Moving back to www.pharmac.govt.nz
What: Making both our websites use www.pharmac.govt.nz.
When: 19 to 20 January 2016.
Which sites: The site you used to reach at www.pharmac.health.nz will now respond as www.pharmac.govt.nz.
Why: To bring both of PHARMAC's websites together at our main online address, which matches our email address.
- Our corporate website lives on 2 separate sites. The older site kept the www.pharmac.govt.nz address, and the newer site used www.pharmac.health.nz.
- We're bringing these sites together in stages. This stage brings their web addresses together. It doesn't change the sites themselves.
- Links and bookmarks to www.pharmac.health.nz will continue to work until mid-2016, and possibly longer. We intend to stop using that web address on public sites, but haven't yet decided when we'll make that change.
- More parts of our sites now support https-by-default. For those pages you can type in a web address that starts with www.pharmac.govt.nz and you'll automatically get the encrypted page starting with https://www.pharmac.govt.nz.
Becoming more mobile friendly
What: New web theme which is much more mobile friendly. Code updates.
When: 15 to 17 January 2016. Some parts of the site will be messy for up to a week after that while we tidy up after the changes.
Which sites: Just the corporate website that was at www.pharmac.health.nz
- More people are using our sites on phones and tablets, which wasn't easy with our old theme.
- To make the site more flexible. Our work is changing. Parts of our previous web theme made it hard for us to reflect those changes. Expect some areas to move in the next months.
- To do our regular code updates.
Instead of modifying our previous web theme, which wasn't designed for mobile use, we started with a mobile theme and added on the things we needed for our site.
We chose to base our mobile-friendly theme on the Govt.nz (external link) directory site, which had already done a lot of the work. We extended that theme so it could handle our menus, tables and other web tools. Our thanks to Victoria Wray and the Govt.nz team at DIA for sharing their theme with us.
We know we have more work to do to make this site more mobile friendly. This theme is our first step.
Last updated: 15 June 2017